The emerging fifth generation (5G) mobile communication system threatens to demand the exponential increase of passive components. With 10Gbps of peak data rate and the enabling technologies such as massive MIMO and carrier aggregation, some experts estimate the passive components volume to increase by at least 10x of a 4G network system.
Why Ceramic Waveguide Filters
5G systems are 10x as fast and 100x larger in network capacity as a 4G system. The new technology system requires smaller form factors, more advanced performance requirements, and above all, lower manufacturing costs.
Ceramic waveguide filters have a number of properties that are well-suited to these design requirements:
- Lower loss and smaller size
- Higher unloaded Q than the traditional metallic cavity filter due to the dielectric material
- A wide spurious window that provides excellent wide band performance
- Good temperature stability. Minimum thermal shift within the wide temperature variable range
- High power handling capability due to the dielectric material fill-in
- Compactable size & lighter weight. 4-10x more compact than traditional metallic cavity filters
- The arbitrary topology and interface variety (coaxial & SMD) is ideal for 5G massive MIMO antennae and small cell integration
- Excellent Passive Inter-modulation(PIM) characteristics
- Superior design material for large scale production and cost
For more information about ceramic filter technology and some of the ceramic filters that Acentury Radiocomm is designing, please contact us.